Embedded computing engineers love the versatility, flexibility and scalability that SoMs offer in system architecture design. Samtec blog describes how high-speed interconnect enable new Artix and Kintex UltraScale+ SoMs.
UltraSOM! – New Artix UltraScale+SoM Family
Embedded computing is global in nature, but there seems to be a lot of SoM design and FPGA design services companies in Germany. Two examples are AVT Ilmenau and senTec Elektronik. Both firms offer unique, application specific R+D and design services for FPGA, MCU and SoC hardware and software.
Recently, AVT Ilmenau and senTec Elektronik have joined forces to create a new SoM platform AMD Artix and Kintex UltraScale+FPGA devices – UltraSOM, The Universal FPGA Platform. These modules offer a number of advantages for FPGA and SoC developers.
UltraSOM comes in two different options. The UltraSOM A variant targets applications using Artix UltraScale+ devices supporting between 96-308k logic cells. Similarly, the UltraSOM K variant targets applications using Kintex UltraScale+ devices supporting between 356-475k logic cells.
Key highlights of the UltraSOMs include:
- System on Module for development and series products
- World’s only SOM board for 4 types of Artix UltraScale+ and 2 types of Kintex UltraScale+ FPGAs.
- World’s only SOM board for low-cost PCIe 4.0 solutions with AMD FPGAs
- Mutiple High-Speed Gigabit Transceivers
- UltraSOM A: 12x XCVRs up to 16 Gbps
- UltraSOM K: 16x XCVRs up to 32 Gbps
- PCI Express® support
- 2500 Mbit/s MIPI Support
- DDR4 RAM 2400 Mbit/s onboard
- 2x 128 Mbit SPI-Flash onboard (config and general purpose)
- up to 220 GPIOs (max. 148 HP, 64 HD, 8 Pmod IOs)
- small SOM board size (80 mm x 50 mm)
- Design support including schematics, PCBs layouts, IP cores and more
Samtec High-Speed Board-to-Board Interconnect
Samtec high-speed board-to-board interconnect solutions provide designers with a wide variety of options for optimizing signal integrity performance, density, and reliability.
These interconnects are designed to seamlessly connect two or more circuit boards while maintaining the signal integrity of the system. Samtec offers a multitude of high-speed board-to-board connector options, which include:
- Edge Rate®: A high-speed, high-density, low-profile solution for parallel board-to-board applications.
- AcceleRate®: A unique, high-speed, high-density solution for elevated mezzanine applications.
- ExaMAX®: A scalable, high-density interconnect system optimized for 28+ Gbps applications.
- SEARAY™: A high-density, high-speed interconnect system that is ideal for high-reliability applications.
- Flyover®: A solution that routes signals over lossy PCB materials to enable higher density and faster speeds while maintaining signal integrity.
These high-speed board-to-board interconnects are ideal for applications in industries such as communications, aerospace, defense, medical, and automotive.
Samtec’s High-Speed Board-to-Board Interconnect solutions are designed with precision and tested for reliability, making them a dependable choice for your next project.